Saturday, July 30, 2011

Baby's A Red-House of Heroes

I promised that I would post some pictures of campus, and since I am in the KFC, using the wifi to skype Melissa (I don't want to use up my quota, and video chatting takes quite a bit) I figured I would use this opportunity to upload a few that I have taken since I got here...
This is the room that I was staying in during orientation... most of what you can see from the balcony (with the exception of the closest building) are parts of the private schools that surround Rhodes, specifically the Diocese School for Girls. Beyond that are private houses, where a lot of students have their 'digs' or apartments. 
This is the view from the library steps (well, some of the library steps, there are many) I am standing in the courtyard in front of the library, and you can see the Biological sciences building straight ahead, and the geology building to the right. 

A mural on campus! I am not entirely sure why thursdays are supposed to be purple; I think it is because purple is one of the school colors. Either way, the whole comrades thing makes me chuckle a bit... shouldn't Thursdays be red?

There are three courtyards in a row down the center of campus; this is from the stairs at the top of the third courtyard, looking into the second courtyard beyond the arch. 

This arch is looking into the first courtyard... you can see the fountain through the arch. It has a bunch of koi fish in it, which apparently are protected by those inclined to play with them by extremely strict punishments for messing with the koi. So there they happily swim. 



This entire building is the library (I took the first picture from the top of the stairs to the left). It is in the finishing stages of being renovated, so it is big and lovely inside. My current res, Beit House, is basically across the street that is behind the far end of the library. It is fantastic being so close the the center of campus, because I can get to my classes super fast, and its no trouble to go home during the course of the day or walk from the library after dark or something. 






1 comment:

  1. I know where you will be in your spare time. Thanks for the great pics. Got to love KFC:)

    ReplyDelete