Thursday, July 21, 2011

Carry This Picture-Dashboard Confessional

So, I have gotten tired of waiting for my internet to get straightened out on campus, and decided to venture to the local KFC in order to use the internet. KFC is apparently the one fast food chain that you can find all over South Africa, although when Chris was here doing my Interstudy orientation, he lamented that the quality of the KFCs here have sharply decreased, and they are now more like the ones in the US. I will leave you to contemplate how hilarious this is. In the meantime, I will put up just a few pictures that I have taken in the past week or so (it has been a week now since I moved into the vacation housing on campus, and I can't wait to get into my permanent housing so I can take things out of my suitcase and put up the pictures that I brought of all you lovely people). 

These next few pictures are from Addo National Park, which is an elephant reserve that was established to protect the elephant population in the early 1900's, when there were just 11 elephants in the park. There are now over 500 elephants in the park, and as the park has expanded to the coastline, they boast that Addo has the "Big Seven" (the big five plus Great White Sharks and Killer Whales, neither of which I was anywhere close to when I visited)
I shot this from an overlook inside the park; everything you can see here is a part of the park or the private game reserves surrounding the park. 
A momma Elephant and her two babies at a watering hole (there were also some Kudu around the other side, but no crocodiles that we could see) 

A male elephant, which are generally solitary unless it is mating time, when they go find the herds of females. This guy is ready to mate... you can tell from the fluid running down between his eye and ear. 

These pictures are from Kenton-On-Sea, which sounds rather pretentious and a fun place to live. It is a little place that is essentially just a beach community, with a bunch of beach houses and some houses of year-round residents. Yeah, I could totally live here.
Chris and I in front of just one of the pretentious signs :)

A sign by the path to the beach, instructing us to "be a real man," which I have never equated with throwing away trash, but is nonetheless a rational argument. 

Our first view of the beach from on the cliffs. Happiest girl. 

A shot of the cove where we went down and played in the water, despite the fact that it is the middle of winter. Obviously, that should never get in the way of playing in the ocean. 

I am not sure how many pictures I can post before my internet throws a fit, so I will stop here for the time being and just leave you with the tempting information that I keep taking pictures of plants and flowers everywhere I go (they probably are more exciting to me than they are to you, unless you are particularly fond of aloe plants and/or blooming things) and I will try to post some pictures of the campus soon! 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great screen savers!! Love you:) Does Chris look like Hugh Jackman?

    ReplyDelete